Wednesday, April 4, 2012

DIY Watercolors


I'm always on the lookout for natural art products, especially since my little man is still at the age where he loves to "taste-test" everything.  When I came across this recipe at Lilac Silhouette for watercolor paints I was super excited to make them.

Supplies needed:
Baking soda
Cornstarch
Vinegar (the recipe calls for white but I used apple cider)
Light corn syrup
Food coloring


Combine 3 tablespoons each of the baking soda, cornstarch and vinegar and add 1 1/2 teaspoons of the corn syrup. Mix completely. Pour the mixture into paint trays (my trays came in a six pack from Michaels).


Stir in a drop or two of your food coloring to create your desired palette and leave out to solidify for several hours. I let ours "dry" for about four hours, but there was still some water on top, which I just wiped off.
(updated....they were perfect after drying overnight)


Here are our watercolors after I wiped off the top layer of water.


Sweet Girl was so ready to dive right in and paint.


So fun!


Happy painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...