Wednesday, June 29, 2011

DIY Recycled Crayons


One of the activities on our Summer Fun List is to make homemade crayons.  Sweet Girl and I tackled this project over the past week and had a lot of fun!  There are tons of tutorials out there in blog-land so I read a few and followed the basic directions.


First, you peel off all those little pesky wrappers.  This took quite a few days.  It was actually quite relaxing.  Sweet Girl helped a little, but I did most of the work since it was a little tedious.


Then, we broke up all the crayons and separated them by color.  



We baked them in the oven at 225 degrees for about 15 minutes until they were melted.  Once the pans cooled, I popped them in the freezer for about an hour.  The crayon blocks came out very easily once they were completely cooled. 

We made both small and large crayon blocks (using a regular muffin tin and a mini muffin tin).  They have been great for crayon rubbings and just drawing in general.  They are very easy for little hands to hold!!


3 comments:

  1. Next time ;) soak the crayons in cold water for a bit and the wrappers are VERY easy to remove :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look like fun. I may have to try that.

    Oh, and I have to say a big thank you for mentioning the book "First Art" in you last post. Found it at the library and am so exited to try some of her ideas soon! :) I also found a book called "Games to play with two year old" while I was looking. So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've made these too, it's fun :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...