Thursday, June 16, 2011

Toddler Art: Marble Painting with Shaving Cream


Sweet Girl and I have discovered the neatest way to make marbled paintings!  Shaving cream art!!  That's right....using shaving cream to make fun swirl-y pictures!  It's really so simple and fun to do and the end result is beyond amazing (in my and Sweet Girl's opinions!!)

All you need is a shallow dish large enough to fit your paper, shaving cream and food coloring.


First, you want to cover the bottom of your dish or pan with shaving cream (fyi...I get my shaving cream at the dollar store).  You really don't need too much, but just make sure the bottom is covered.  Then add a few drops of food coloring and let your tot swirl it all around.  Sweet Girl is using a popsicle stick in the picture above, but in other times we've done this activity, she used both chopsticks and her fingers (note...the food coloring does discolor fingers and takes a few washes before it is completely gone).


Next, lay your piece of paper on top of the shaving cream and push down gently to make sure the shaving cream is covering all areas of the paper. 


Then lift out your paper and let it dry for about 10 minutes.  After about 10 minutes...scrap off the shaving cream and marvel at your amazing picture!!  (I recommend using a popsicle stick or something of that nature to scrap off the shaving cream.)

Here's a couple close ups of the incredible marbling! 



I loved them so much I framed two of the marbled prints and hung them in our guest bathroom!


And are you following Playing House on Facebook?  Click here to "like" us and follow along!

6 comments:

  1. That is so cool! Can't wait to try it with my tots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea... I love the marble look.

    I am your latest follower from http://linesacrossmyface.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just did this project with my girls and we turned them into cards and gift wrap. Linked to your post on my blog. thanks for the inspiration! Here is my project
    http://messforless.blogspot.com/2011/08/twins-will-be-starting-at-new-school-in.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a clever and fun way to paint and get that awesome marbling effect! I love it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...